Poppy seeds provide a lovely crunch to dishes. We've served them in a carrot and orange salad, and cheddar biscuits in our cooking lasses in the past, but our absolute favourite recipe to cook is these muffins. You can use lemon or orange zest to flavour these.
Makes 8 muffins, or 12 cupcakes. If you only have a shallow cupcake tray that’s fine it will work just as well, but you will make more portions.
225g wholemeal self-raising flour
120g golden caster sugar
2 lemons or oranges, zested
1 tablespoon poppy seed
3 medium eggs
100g natural yogurt
175g butter, melted and cooled a little
- Heat oven to 160˚ C (fan).
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, citrus zest and poppy seeds together.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add the yoghurt, then lightly whisk in the eggs, and finally the cooled melted butter.
- Tip the wet ingredients in to the dry, then stir together till combined and there is no trace of dry flour.
- Split the batter between all the cases – top tip an ice cream scoop is great for this!
- Bake for 22-25 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean (the cupcakes will take less time, check after 20 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Recipe by BBC Food